Accidents injure several, kill two over weekend

Christina E. Hlavaty, 61, of Owensville suffered moderate injuries in an accident Saturday, May 26, on U. S. Highway 50, west of Beagle Club Road. 

A report filed by Tpr. H. H. Hoemann with Troop C of the Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) provides the details. Around 5:10 p.m., a 2004 Volkswagon Jetta, driven by Kayla L. Christian, 20, of Union crossed the centerline and struck the side of Hlavaty’s 2017 Jeep Cherokee. Hlavaty was taken to Mercy Washington by Union ambulance. Both drivers were using seat belts. Both vehicles received extensive damage. Christian was arrested at 5:46 p.m. and charged with driving while intoxicated.  

At 5:40 p.m. the same day, two St. Louis men were killed as a result of an accident on State Route W, east of Twin Springs Road. Christopher H. Kent, 48, traveled off the right side of the roadway, then off the left side. The 2003 GMC Sierra truck then overturned and struck a utility pole. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene by Sullivan EMS personnel. His passenger, Anthony J. Nolda, 62, was pronounced dead at Missouri Baptist Hospital at 6:27 p.m. Neither man was wearing a seat belt. The accident was investigated by Tpr. M. K. Halim along with other MSHP personnel and the Franklin County Sheriff’s department.

Tpr. D. C. Highley reports Christopher R. Beckmann, 36, of Union was seriously injured in an ATV accident at 2:54 a.m.  Monday. Beckmann was driving a 2003 600 Twin Sportsman Polaris too fast for conditions through a corn field when it overturned. He  was not using safety devices and was ejected. He was taken by Gerald ambulance to Mercy Washington.

At 6:31 a.m. Monday, Derek M. Czeschin, 26, of Rosebud was westbound on Old Highway 50 east of Tegeler Road. While on a 2016 Kawasaki Ninja, Czeschin tried to unsuccessfully avoid hitting a deer.  The motorcycle overturned and had moderate damage. Although Czeschin was wearing  a helmet, he suffered serious injuries and was taken to Mercy Hospital by Gerald EMS. Tpr. D.C. Highley filed a report on the accident.