Blaze Tuesday afternoon destroys Bland residence, injures owner’s son

By: 
Roxanne Murphy

BLAND — A Bland resident was injured in a residential structure fire Tuesday afternoon on Marvin Street in town.

Four fire departments responded to the residential structure fire at 307 Marvin Street in Bland. The two-story, wood-framed home was deemed a complete loss.

The call went out at 2:18 p.m. and the Belle Volunteer Fire Department was the first on scene, according to Assistant Fire Chief Nathan Abel.

“We arrived on scene at 2:27 p.m.,” Abel said. The structure was fully engulfed.”

Abel said there were reports to dispatch that a man was sitting on the front porch of the residence. Bland City Clerk Rachel Anderson said the home’s owner is Patricia Sharp. She was not home at the time the fire broke out. Her son, Aaron Sharp, was the man injured in the fire, according to neighbors.

Neighbors told The Republican that Sharp was on the porch with one dog and a bird cage. The neighbor helped Sharp off the porch and into an ambulance.

Abel said an emergency medical technician who treated Sharp said Sharp told him that a cat knocked over a candle, sparking the blaze.

Anderson said Sharp was transported by ambulance to a hospital in the region for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation.

“We heard reports through dispatch that he had injuries, I assumed the ambulance picked him up,” Abel said, as the owner was not on scene when they arrived. “The home beside (the structure) had melted siding, but damage did not go further than the exterior of the home.”

At 3:18, Abel said he believed they would be on scene for another couple of hours while they attempted a controlled collapse of the structure.

Heavy rainfall was reported in Bland at 4:30 p.m. when Anderson spoke with the newspaper. Firemen from Bland were called back to the scene at 6:44 p.m. for a rekindle despite the heavy rainfall reported in the region.

Belle, Bland, Owensville, and the Gerald-Rosebud fire departments, Mari-Osa Ambulance District and Owensville Area Ambulance District, along with Ameren Missouri personnel were at the scene. Attempts to reach a hospital spokesman for a condition report on Sharp were unsuccessful late Tuesday evening. Social media posts noted that he was hospitalized but did not say where.

View more photos from this fire at : http://www.gasconadecountyrepublican.com/content/sharp-residence-fire-bland