Fire alarm causes residents’ evacuation

When a fire alarm sounded last Wednesday morning at the Gerald Caring Center, staff wasted no time in evacuating the residents (right). Warren Weiss, the deputy chief of the Gerald-Rosebud Fire Department said a haze in the kitchen area and the smell of electrical smoke were present. Fire departments from Owensville and Beaufort-Leslie also responded to the scene. Fire personnel from all three departments thoroughly checked the entire building, including attic spaces, before determining the building was safe. As residents waited in the parking lot, they were bundled in blankets and coats. Above normal temperatures prevented the wait from being too uncomfortable. Staff members remained with the residents and comforted those who were disoriented by the experience. 

Category: