Fire destroys home on Shotwell Road

Linda Trest

Gerald-Rosebud firemen were called to a structure fire at 11 a.m. Sunday morning. The fire was already fully engaged in the home in the 4200 block of Shotwell Road.

“Heavy fire was showing throughout the building” Deputy Chief Warren C Weiss noted.

The home had a wood stove in use in the basement. Home owners heard noises from the basement. When they checked, they found a flue fire that was spreading into the walls, according the Weiss.

 The homeowners attempted to put the fire out with extinguishers, but the heavy smoke drove them from the basement. 

Crews from Beaufort-Leslie, Union, Sullivan and Owensville responded to provide assistance in fighting the flames. Tankers were brought in to provide additional water.

The fire heavily damaged the home which Weiss believes will be a total loss. 

The cause of the fire seems “pretty cut and dried,” according to Weiss. 

Fire crews cleared the scene at 1:47 p.m.

The home sits just east of the Gerald city limits.