Injured man sought in search-and-rescue operation turns up early Tuesday in town

Dave Marner
Managing Editor

A rural Owensville man who fled his residence early Monday evening with self-inflicted knife wound to his upper arm was brought to town early Wednesday morning by a family member for medical attention.

Justin Faldon left his residence along a dead-end lane off of Highway 19 south of Route V shortly after 5 p.m. when his wife returned home to find blood in a bathtub and near a back door, according to Gasconade County Sheriff’s Capt. Mark Williams.

“The wife came home and he was leaving,” said Sheriff John Romanus at 10:35 p.m. as the search for Faldon was being called off for the night. “He wanted to be left alone.”

“This was purely a check the well being (call) for us,” added Williams.

“It wasn’t for a lack of effort that we didn’t find him,” added Romanus.

The realization, at that point, however, was that Faldon was either dead or seriously injured in the woods somewhere or he had received a ride out of the area. With no new information, the search was called off.

City police and two county deputies were in town when Faldon was brought into Owensville by a woman who identified herself as his wife, according to Romanus. He received a text message from the county’s dispatch center at 12:45 a.m. saying she was bringing him for medical attention.

He was transported to Phelps Health in Rolla by Owensville Area Ambulance District for treatment of several deep cuts across his biceps, according to Owensville Police Lt. Scott Griffith who met them at Moto-Mart around 1 a.m. Sept. 10.

Romanus said they learned Faldon had been picked up near the Route V and Tappmeyer Road area. Exactly when that was he did not know. Those details were still being sorted out.

At least five deputies were involved in the search. Three Owensville police patrolmen participated along with firemen from the Owensville, Gerald-Rosebud, and Bourbon volunteer departments. The Missouri State Highway Patrol had a corporal and a sergeant on the scene along with an air crew.

Williams had said earlier in the evening there were no charged pending against Faldon. “They (his family) know he’s not in any trouble with us,”  said Williams. “No current trouble.”

Once a command post was established at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church cemetery, firemen and law enforcement personnel began searching county roads and private drives along Route V. A team of dog handlers from the Dry Creek Bloodhounds K-9 Unit in Franklin County arrived around 7 p.m and conducted two ground searches. Once centered on the area from his home, through a field northeast of there toward a neighbor’s claypit, and then north to Route V.

Another search was conducted off of Route V east of Jenkins Lane where Faldon’s cell phone was pinged as last being used.

“We’ve got a guy who hurt himself and we just want to help him,” said Romanus at 7:37 p.m. Monday.