Interceptions help Dutchmen at Union

Dustin Faragher (above, center) has Union’s Jacob Fleming wrapped up while Dutchmen teammates Garrett Jahnsen (9), Aaron Budnik (77) and Richard Nelms (89) converge to help Faragher on defense. Behind five interceptions, Owensville went on to spoil Union’s homecoming Friday night, 49-12.
Will Johnson

UNION — Evening their record at 3-3 after last Friday’s home win over Pacific, Dale Long’s Owensville Dutchmen football team hit the road for the final time in the regular season Friday night taking on the Union Wildcats.

Nursing a 7-6 lead midway through the first quarter, Long’s Dutchmen went on to score 42 unanswered points to post a 49-12 victory spoiling Union’s homecoming at E.A. Stierberger Stadium.

“It was good to come down to Union and play well on both sides of the ball,” Long said.

Exchanging turnovers on downs to open the game with Union, Owensville broke the scoreless tie just past the midway point of the opening period.

Needing just five plays to travel 52 yards, Dutchmen senior running back Tanner Rector found the end zone from 32 yards away for OHS’ first touchdown of the night.

Tanner rushed for 92 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries.

River West-Derby’s extra point gave Owensville a 7-0 lead at the 5:27 mark of the first quarter.

Union needed just 18 seconds to come up with an answer on their next drive.

Set up by a Jacob Fleming to Eli Klenke 56 yard pass completion, the Wildcat duo connected again two plays later on a 7-yard TD strike.

Dustin Faragher intercepted the ensuing two-point pass attempt keeping OHS in the lead, 7-6.

Going back to work on offense, Owensville was faced with a third-and-25 at their 31-yard line.

Taking to the air, Dutchmen senior quarterback Wyatt Ellis hooked up with Faragher on a 53-yard completion to keep the drive alive. Ellis rushed for a team-high 95 yards and three scores on 17 carries. He was also 9-20 passing for 186 yards and two touchdowns. 

Three plays later on fourth-and-three from the Union nine, Ellis scored from nine yards out with 2:29 for the opening quarter.

West-Derby’s kick pushed the Dutchmen lead to 14-6.

OHS was not done scoring in the opening 12 minutes.

Faragher intercepted a Fleming pass on UHS’ next play from scrimmage giving Owensville the ball back on the Wildcat 45-yard line.

Four plays later, Ellis hooked up with Colton Moore on a 20-yard TD pass. West-Derby’s kick at the 1:35 mark of the quarter gave OHS a 21-6 advantage.

“I was more shocked than anything when I found the end zone,” Moore said.” I almost dropped it. It started slipping out as soon as it hit my arm sleeve. I was able to bring it back in and hold on.”

Three plays into Union’s next drive, Cason Gray joined the interception parade with a pick of his own with :27 for the quarter.

Two plays after the latest Wildcat turnover, Ellis cashed it in on another 9-yard TD run with :04 ticks for the first period. West-Derby’s latest kick left Owensville with a 28-6 lead after one quarter.

To open the second quarter, Union drove the ball all the way to the Dutchmen 14-yard line.

On the very next play, Sean Irwin picked off another Fleming pass in the end zone for a touchback. Irwin led the Dutchmen defense with a team-high eight total tackles.

Highlighted by runs of 14 and 13 yards from Faragher, OHS cashed in yet another Wildcat turnover for points when Grant Steever scored from a yard out.

“It felt good to finally get in the end zone,” Steever said.

West-Derby’s fifth extra point stretched the Owensville lead to 35-6 with 5:20 until halftime.

Three plays into Union’s next offensive possession, Faragher struck again with his third interception of the first half setting up the Dutchmen offense late in the half. Dustin finished with three interceptions and seven total tackles on the night.

Catching a 12-yard TD pass from Ellis, Irwin became the fifth different Dutchmen to find the end zone in the first half.

West-Derby’s sixth extra point at the 2:57 mark of the second quarter gave OHS a 42-6 halftime lead.

“We were a little bit off in a lot of places tonight,” Union head coach Erick Webster said. “We were bad on defense tonight against a very good Owensville offense.”

In a second half that featured a running clock, the Dutchmen offense capped their scoring at the 2:46 mark of the third quarter on an Ellis 1-yard TD run. West-Derby’s latest kick pushed the Owensville lead to 49-6 late in the third.

Midway through the fourth quarter, Union capped the scoring on a 59-yard TD pass from Derek Hulsey to Peyton Burke.

After spoiling Union’s homecoming, Owensville will return home Friday night to host Sullivan during OHS’ fall homecoming at Dutchmen Field at 7 p.m.