Minor damage to home in early Sunday morning fire

By: 
Linda Trest
Staff Writer

Crews with the Gerald-Rosebud Fire Protection District were called out early Sunday morning for a structure fire in Brinkmeyer Road in Gasconade County.

Mutual assistance to the 6:04 a.m call was provided by the Beaufort-Leslie, New Haven-Berger and Owensville fire departments and the Gerald Ambulance District.

The home was occupied by two adults. The woman awoke to the smell of smoke. Although the home had working smoke detectors, they had not sounded according to Fire Chief Warren Weiss. 

The male homeowner located the fire in the ground floor bathroom between the ceiling and second story. He immediately began fighting the fire with his home fire extinguishers and was able to contain the fire until help arrived. 

Weiss says that once the firemen arrived they were able to control the fire with minimal damage to the home. The couple was able to remain in their residence. 

At 2:17 p.m., Weiss says the department responded again to the home for a rekindle. They found minor smoldering and were able to fully extinguish the embers. 

The department noted on their Facebook page that this situation is, “(A) perfect example of why you should always keep a fire extinguisher handy in your home.”

There were no injuries reported in the incident.

Category: