Owensville man found dead Monday from apparent hanging; deceased was suspect in felony child-molestation investigation

Dave Marner

Owensville police report an Owensville man facing criminal charges from a 2016 arrest died an “apparent suicide” by hanging in his East Washington Avenue residence.

Lt. Scott Griffith said Robin W. Wilson was discovered Monday evening inside the house where he resided in the 200 block of East Washington by an ex-girlfriend. Police responded to the residence around 9:30 p.m. and found Wilson’s body on the floor of the main level of the residence in a hallway near the kitchen area. “The ex-girlfriend found him and cut him down thinking she could revive him,” said Griffith. “There was no sign foul play. It was an apparent suicide.”

Griffith said Wilson left a note but the contents were not being made public.

Gasconade County Coroner Benjamin Grosse said Wilson may have been deceased for as long as 24 hours prior to his discovery. He was pronounced dead at 9:38 p.m. based on the time ambulance personnel responding to the residence examined him.

Grosse said it had been a “couple of days since anyone had contact with him. People had been trying to get a hold of him and he didn’t have any means of communication.”

Grosse said the cause of death is being ruled as “death by asphyxiation due to hanging.” Griffith said Wilson used a rope.

“I don’t see any evidence of anyone else being involved,” said Grosse. “The evidence at the scene indicates he did it himself.”

Wilson was charged in a felony Gasconade County arrest warrant issued Aug. 24, 2016, with the allegation of first-degree child molestation of a minor boy following an investigation by Owensville police. The investigation stemmed from a hotline call to the Family Services agency. Investigators with the Children’s Advocacy Center of East Central Missouri in Union interviewed the victim the day before Wilson was charged.

Wilson was free on a $35,000 bond on the class B felony charge while awaiting trial.

He had been in Circuit Judge I.I. “Ike” Lamke’s court in Hermann on June 7 with his public defender for a “criminal setting” hearing. The case was passed to Sept. 6 for “disposition/setting,” according to court records. He had pleaded not guilty during a Jan. 5, 2017, court appearance where he waived formal arraignment.

 The home Wilson resided in is owned by a family member who lives out of state, said Griffith. Police in August 2016 had gone to the same residence to question Wilson on the molestation allegations which were alleged to have taken place there also. He declined to speak with police without an attorney and was charged the next day.