Pre-Christmas fire damages Rosebud couple’s residence

Cari Wehmeyer helps carry packages belonging to the family of Josh and Tonya Wagner after their Rosebud home received extensive smoke and heat damage from an accidental fire reported at 1 p.m. Dec. 20. Sgt. Mason Griffith with the Rosebud Police Department said the Missouri State Fire Marshal’s investigator called to the scene by Gerald-Rosebud Fire Protection District officers ruled the fire “accidental” and noted it “possibly started in the kitchen,” said Griffith. “It was a pretty hot fire,” said Griffith. “There was no sign of foul play. Nothing like that. The kitchen was damaged pretty heavily. There was a lot of smoke and heat damage.” Griffith said Tonya Wagner was home and discovered the fire. The family’s pet cat died in the incident despite efforts by ambulance personnel to save it with oxygen treatment. Volunteer firemen from the Gerald-Rosebud, Owensville, and Beaufort-Leslie departments responded to the call. New Haven-Berger firemen provided standby services for the Gerald station, according to Griffith.