Rosebud barn and its contents destroyed by Sunday blaze

By: 
Linda Trest
Staff Writer

The Gerald-Rosebud Fire Department, plus four other departments, responded to a barn fire in the 3000 block of Rosebud Road Sunday morning.

According to Fire Chief Warren Weiss, property owner Joe Wehmeyer returned home from church to discover the fire.

Weiss says his crew was called out at 10:33 a.m. and found the barn and the round hay bales it contained fully engulfed. 

New Haven-Berger, Beaufort-Leslie, Owensville and Bland fire departments were called in to assist. 

Round hay bales present a unique problem when fighting a fire, Weiss notes. When water is applied to them, it simply rolls off the side. In order to squelch the flames, a bale must be completely unrolled.

Once it was determined the barn, nor any of the bales, could be saved, Weiss consulted with Wehmeyer. Since no other structures were in danger from the subdued fire, they made a decision to just let the fire burn out. 

More than four inches of rain soaked the area Friday afternoon and into Saturday. With the saturated ground, there was little danger of the fire spreading into a brush fire. 

Weiss said his crew left the scene at 11:52 a.m.

Category: